On this page you’ll see examples of blogs I’ve written for companies in a variety of niches, as well as examples of guest posts I’ve written on popular blogs.
Wedding Wise is a local kiwi blog focused on wedding planning and inspiration. I write a series of wedding planning advice articles and a monthly “Vendor Tips” column for marketing tips for wedding businesses. I also conduct a guest-blogging campaign and have created a series of downloadable wedding planning resources.
- Wedding Day Survival Kit, May 2013.
- Marriage Equality Act: What it Means for Marriage in New Zealand, May 2013.
- Planning a Tea Party wedding reception, April 2013.
- Tips for an Eco-Friendly Wedding, March 2013.
- Vendor Tips: Make Your Website Functional and Beautiful, March 2013.
- How to Get More Leads from Your Wedding Directory Listing, Book More Brides, May 2013.
- Bullshit-Free Ways to Save Money on your Wedding, NZ Muse, April 2013.
- Wedding Planners and Checklists - 5 Downloadable Guides for hassle-free wedding planning.
- Why Your Business Needs an Email Newsletter, April 2013.
- You’ve Created Your Cornerstone Content, Now What? April 2013.
- Tips for Choosing a Ghost Blogger for Your Company, Blogging Pro, April 2013.
- Creating a Strategic Guest-Blogging Campaign, Affhelper, April 2013.
- Optemizing your Online Store for Search Engines, The Frugal Entrepreneur, May 2013.
The Disabled Shop
The Disabled Shop is a UK blog focused around adaptations and daily living with disabilities. The brief requires each post to link to at least one product available in the shop. I’m now working with this client on a guest-posting campaign to increase visibility of the blog in the disability community.
- Caring for the Batteries in your Mobility Equipment, Aug 2012.
- Simple Exercises You can Do in A Wheelchair, May 2012.
- Six of the Best Accessible IPad Apps, Feb 2012.
- Adapting a Car for Disabled Driving, May 2011.
- Eulogy to My Miniscope (Blog Contest Winner), Dec 2010.
- Disclosing Your Disability to a Potential Employer, Same Difference blog, Dec 4, 2012.
“I first hired Steff as a writer in January 2011 after she won our blogging contest. Since then she has consistently provided regular, well-written blog posts to a deadline. I would have no hesitation in recommending Steff for a similar position.” - James Dunworth, The Disabled Shop
Empty Easel is one of the premier online resource websites for artists – hosting in-depth technique tutorials and advice for creating a flourishing art business. My brief is to produce monthly content around marketing an art business online and creative ideas to earn an income as an artist.
- The Pros and Cons of Creating Commissioned Artwork for Collectors, Oct 1, 2012.
- How to be a More Confident Artist (And Grow Your Art Business, Too), Aug 12, 2012.
- How to Get Your Art on Greeting Cards, June 11, 2012.
- How to Write, Illustrate and Pitch a Children’s Book to Publishers, May 8 2012.
- 5 Ways to Earn Money as an Artist (without Selling At a Gallery), Dec 2, 2011.
Think Like a Label
Think Like a Label is a music marketing blog aimed at helping musicians bypass label interference by DIYing their music recording and promotion. My brief was to produce informative posts about various aspects of online promotion and help musicians perfect their press materials. My post, “10 of the Best iPad Apps for Musicians” was published in January 2012, and is still one of the most popular posts on this blog.
- Your Post-SXSW Game Plan: The Musician’s Guide, Mar 27, 2012.
- 10 of the Best iPad Apps for Musicians, Jan 30, 2012.
- Working With a Cover Designer to Perfect Your Album Art, Oct 31, 2011.
- Create a Kick-Ass Musician Bio, Aug 29, 2011.
Made Loud is a music platform designed to help indie musicians reach new fans and followers with their music. As a contributor to their music blog, I wrote about DIY marketing in the music industry, and humorous pieces about different musical tropes and genres.
- Five Reasons Loud Music is Good for You, Mar 12, 2012.
- Tips for Releasing Limited Edition Albums, Feb 6, 2012.
- Ten “Other” Ways to Make Money in the Music Industry, Feb 1, 2012.
- How to Create Your Own Music Genre, Jan 30, 2012.
Marketing Creativity is a blog helping creatives to market their businesses, and is edited by Lisa Jacobs, a handmade entrepreneur who has earned a six-figure income from her online jewelry shop. I write monthly articles about online marketing strategies and small business success tips for creative entrepreneurs.
Lip Service is the premier clothing and apparel label for alternative and gothic fashion in the US. As a contributor to their online webzine, I wrote monthly articles on aspects of heavy metal fashion, music and culture in my Cvlt Status Column.
- Your Metal Bookshelf: Musical Tomes to Enjoy this Summer, April 23, 2012.
- A Guide to Mosh-Pit Etiquette, Feb 27, 2012.
- Dispatches from the Holy Land: Steff Metal at Wacken Open Air, Aug 26, 2011
- Metal Style Icons: Angela Gossow, Tarja Turunan and Simone Simons, April 12, 2011
- The Metalhead Uniform, March 7, 2011
Sensational jobs is a job board for web professionals and freelancers. Their blog focuses on useful job search, employment and freelancing tips. My brief was to create monthly pillar content based on determined keywords.
- How to Write a Cover Letter that Stands Out, March 2011.
- 8 Tips to Improve Your Networking Skills, Feb 2011.
- Best Paid Jobs and How You Can Get One, Feb 2011.
- Creating Your Web Portfolio, Feb 2011.
- How to Get a Raise, Nov 2010.
I believe guest posting is vital for any successful blog. Not only does it connect you with the wider blogasphere, but it introduces your blog and brand to new audiences and increases your site’s visitors, signups and conversions.
As well as guest-posting for clients on a range of industry-specific blog, I regularly guest post about blogging, writing and creativity on a variety of sites.
OSTraining offer training courses and materials on platforms such as Drupal, WordPress and Joomla. Their blog offers regular tutorials on different aspects of these platforms, as well as tips for website development and blogging success.
- The Ins and Outs of Accessible Web Design, May 2013.
Core PHP are specialists in WordPress, Joomla and Drupal platforms, and offer a range of web development products and services. Their blog is a must-read for software developers and businesses using these platforms to run content-based websites.
- Should Your Build A Membership Site? May 2013.
ProBlogger is the top website online for blogging professionals, and publishes content every day on blogging. I wrote my first piece for them in in 2011 and received around 30 comments. My article, 40 Cool Things to Do With Your Blog Post AFTER You Hit Publish, was the most popular post on the blog in 2012, despite only being published on Dec 29. So thats pretty awesome.
- Blog Accessibility Essentials: The Complete Guide, Feb 2, 2013.
- 40 Cool Things to Do With Your Blog Post AFTER You Hit Publish, Dec 29, 2012.
- Curing the Dreaded Blogger’s Malaise, May 23, 2011
Men With Pens
The Men with Pens site has been ranked in the Top Ten writing blogs online for four years running, and posts on this blog generate a lot of comments and sharing on social media. All my posts on this blog generated tons of comments, shares and retweets.
Daily Blog Tips
Daily Blog Tips is ranked among the 500 most popular blogs in the world, and one of the top 100 most popular marketing blogs. As th name suggests, it’s a blog for bloggers, and the topic is blogging. Hence, that’s what I wrote about:
- Blogger-for-hire: How to Find Blogging Jobs, Oct 5, 2012.
Start-Up Nation is a resource site for entrepreneurs and young companies to find tips and a supportive community. Posts on this site are seen by up-and-coming movers and shakers in business and technology.
- 7 Steps to Blogging Success for Startups, Dec 1, 2012.
The Abundant Artist
Cory Huff, artist and marketing professional, created The Abundant Artist blog to dispel the myth of the starving artist. My post, “Artists Who Sell: How to Write a Killer Sales Page (and why)” is still ranked as one of his most popular posts in terms of comments, views, and sharing. So far, it has brought me more than $2000 in revenue from new clients.
Shonali Burke is a prominent PR and social media professional. My posts on her blog, Waxing Unlyrical, received dozens of comments and social media shares.
- Thank You, Fairy Googlemother!, May 9, 2011
- Why I’m Baking Cookies Instead of Tweeting, April 8, 2011
- On Social Media’s Use (And Misuse) After the Christchurch Earthquake, Mar 7, 2011
- Etsy’s PR Nightmare: Greeting Cards Making Light of Rape, Jan 25, 2011
- How to Be Awesome at Niche Blogging, Dec 22, 2010
20 Something Bloggers
The 20 Something Bloggers network runs this blog to promote different blogging techniques and ideas to their members. With a network of more than 20,000 bloggers, this is a popular platform for younger bloggers to learn about online contact and interact with other bloggers.
- The Big Bad Blogging Wolf, May 17, 2011
No Clean Singing
No Clean Singing is a popular online metal blog with a readership of some 50,000 monthly. At least three posts a day go up reviewing, discussing and joking about metal music and culture. NCS boasts a loyal and dedicated readership who are very active in the comments and on Facebook. I occasionally offer up reviews and reports from my side of the Tasman.
- 10 of the Best 2011 Metal Albums from Down Under, Jan 5, 2012.
- Metal from New Zealand, part 2, April 20, 2011.
- Metal from New Zealand, part 1, June 28, 2010.
- Pirate Metal Roundup, March 6, 2010.
HomeBizBuzz NZ is a site dedicated to helping small, local businesses succeed. It’s packed with articles and resources for the small business owner. This article appeared on the front page of the site and was sent out via email to thousands of subscribers.
- Creative Content Ideas for Small Businesses, HomeBizBuzz, 4 Oct 2012.
I can create a custom blogging package for your business, which can include high quality articles for your site, social media promotion, and a blog content strategy, as well as a guest blogging campaigns. To discuss these options, contact me on steff @ grymmandepic.com or on +64 27 414 7016.