As well as offering copywriting and blogging services for my business clients, I often write features and articles for magazines and online websites. I specialize in lifestyle topics, including travel, fashion, culture, art, weddings and disabilities, and with over 300 articles in print, I’m experienced in finding and interviewing quality sources, researching and writing articles, and turning in copy on time and on deadline. Here are a selection of some of my favorite articles:
“Steff is a creative thinker and writer who pitches unique yet relatable stories (always with interesting hooks!) An added and much-appreciated bonus: her work is always submitted in a timely manner and completed to very high journalistic standards.” – Kellie Davenport, assigning editor at 2 for Couples magazine.
Gallery of Work
Below you’ll see scans and screen shots of some of my articles, website copy, blogs and other projects. Contact me if you’d like to see more samples or talk about a specific project.
- Steff Metal – Heavy Metal fashion, lifestyle and kvlture
- Grymm & Epic – a small business guide for creative bad-asses
- Gothic Wedding Planner – advice and lots of pretty pictures for alternative wedding planning
- Corpsepaint Kitty - a webcomic for heavy metal cat lovers
On Travel and Lifestyle
For 2 For Couples
- If you Love Him, Throw Him Off a Cliff, 2 for Couples, forthcoming 2012.
- Sex on the Beach, 2 for Couples, forthcoming 2012.
- The Perfect Summer Roadtrip, 2 for Couples, forthcoming 2012.
- 7 Sexy Citiies, 2 for Couples, March 2012)
- How to Throw a Kick-Ass Christmas Party, 2 for Couples, Dec 2011.
- The Other Woman, 2 for Couples, August 2011.
- Long Distance Lovin’, 2 for Couples, June 2010.
- Living with a Serial Hobbyist, 2 for Couples, May 2010.
- How to Have a Headbangin’ Honeymoon, 2 for Couples, Jan 2010.
For Transitions Abroad
- Traveling Blind: Improve Your Experience with Accessibility, forthcoming 2012.
- Digging Up the Past: Volunteering on Archaeological Excavations, forthcoming 2012.
For Kiki Magazine
- 10 Ideas for Summer Fun with your Girlfriends, Kiki Magazine, Summer 2011.
- Surviving Your First Rock Concert, Kiki Magazine, March 2009.
For Nevada Magazine
- Nevada’s Haunted Past: Guided Ghost Tours of Nevada’s spookiest places, forthcoming Sept/Oct, 2012.
For Backwoods Home Magazine
- Creating an Attractive Farmer’s Market Display, Backwoods Home Magazine, forthcoming Spring 2013.
For Backhome Magazine
- Simple Organization Tips, BackHome Magazine, May 2011.
- Organising My Home Office, Backhome Magazine, Jan 2011.
- Forgotten Tombs and Minoen Zombies: A Visit to Phourni Cemetery, Crete, 2009.
- City of the Beast: A Heavy Metal Tour of London, Nov 2008.
For Matador Network
- 12 Tips for Surviving your First European Metal Festival, Matador Nights, May 2009.
- 5 Tips for Visually Impaired Travellers. Traveller’s Notebook. January, 2009.
For Read, Learn, Write
- Surrounded by Books: Your Personal Library. Read, Learn, Write, Oct 12, 2012.
For Dabbling Mum
- Become a Band Manager. Dabbling Mum, November 2008.
On Disability, Health and Wellness
For Abilities Magazine
- “Stretching for Success: Adaptive Yoga in Canada,” Abilities Magazine, forthcoming 2012.
- “I Do: Planning a Wedding With a Disability,” Abilities Magazine, Summer 2012.
- “The Art of Selling Yourself: Top Tips for Securing Funding”, Abilities Magazine, Spring 2012.
- “Surviving an Emergency with a Disability,” Abilities Magazine, Winter 2011.
- “Blind Knights: Adventures in Medieval Swordfighting”. Abilities Magazine, Fall 2009
For the Disabled Shop
- Caring for the Batteries in your Mobility Equipment, Aug 2012.
- Simple Exercises You can Do in A Wheelchair, May 2012.
- Six of the Best Accessible IPad Apps, Feb 2012.
- Choosing Your Wheelchair Wedding Dress, Nov 2011.
- A Wheelchair-Friendly Wedding Venue, Oct 2011.
- Choosing – and Using – a Walking Stick, July 2011.
- Should You Disclose Your Disability on Your CV?, Feb 2011.
- How To Remember to Take Your Pills, Jan 2011.
- Adapting Card Games for the Vision-Impaired, Jan 2011.
- Eulogy to My Miniscope (Blog Contest Winner), Dec 2010.
For Spotlight on Recovery
- “Recovering from Bullying: Long-term Effects of Bullying in Grade School”, Spotlight on Recovery, Forthcoming 2012.
- ”Is Your Friend Feeling Down? How to Help Fellow Teens Deal with Depression”, Spotlight on Recovery, forthcoming 2012.
- “Eight Apps for People with Vision Impairments,” Dialogue Magazine, forthcoming Fall 2012.
- “Syrian Wonders: Travel in the Middle East,” Dialogue Magazine, Sept/Oct 2012.
- “Surviving Exams as a Student with a Vision Impairment,” Dialogue Magazine, March/April 2009.
For Turkey Country
- “On Track: Sharing the Trail with Blind Hikers”, Turkey Country, Fall 2009.
- “Practice What You Write,” Connections / Lifeglow, May 2009.
- “Painting without Colour,” Connected, March 2009.
- “Blind Characters: A Process of Awareness,” Wordgatherings, March 2009.
For Strange Horizons
- Elven Lays and Power Chords: Chaos, Revelry and Community in Tolkien-Themed Heavy Metal, Strange Horizons, Jan 12, 2009.
- Well-Stocked Larders: the food and diet of Hobbits. Strange Horizons, Feb Issue, 2008.
For Altared Magazine
- Vows that Wow: Writing Your Own Wedding Vows, Issue 1, Feb 2012.
- Don’t Say it With Flowers: Bouquet Alternatives for the Un-Traditional Bride, Issue 1, Feb 2012.
On Writing and Creativity
For Funds for Writers Newsletter
- “Selling Halloween: Making Money with Spooky Stories,” FundsForWriters, Oct 2012.
- “Writing for Wedding Markets,” FundsForWriters, forthcoming 2012.
- “How to Be a Blogger-For-Hire,” FundsForWriters, forthcoming 2012.
- “Writing a Press Release,” FundsForWriters, June 2010.
- “Accessible E-text for Writers,” FundsForWriters, June 2009.
- “Making Money from your University Essays (without cheating)”. FundsForWriters September 2008.
- “Writing For Disability Markets”. FundsForWriters, August 2008.
For Empty Easel
- The Pros and Cons of Creating Commissioned Artwork for Collectors, Oct 1, 2012.
- How to Find Illustrations Jobs Online … and Offline, too, Aug 27, 2012.
- How to be a More Confident Artist (And Grow Your Art Business, Too), Aug 12, 2012.
- 5 Productivity Tips for Procrastinating Artists, June 26, 2012.
- How to Set Up a Successful Mural Business, June 06, 2012.
- How to Write, Illustrate and Pitch a Children’s Book to Publishers, May 8 2012.
- How to Get Local Media Coverage as an Artist, Apr 24, 2012.
- 5 Ways to Earn Money as an Artist (without Selling At a Gallery), Dec 2, 2011.
For WOW: Women on Writing
- The Writer’s Adventuring Toolkit: Packing Essentials for the Traveling Writer, Writers on the Road, June 2012.
For The Writer
- “Writing Pains,” The Writer, January 2009.
For Writers’ News
- “Bio-logy: Anatomy of an Author Bio”. Writers’ News, November 2008.
For Writing World
- Writers Annoymous: the 12-Step programme for recovering writers, Writing World, August 2010.
- Writing the Fantastical Query, Writing World. August 2008.
For Writer Within
- “Writing your Hobbies,” Writer Within, December 2008.
For Vision: a Resource for Writers
- Writing the Fantastical Query (reprint), Vision: A Resource for Writers, Jan-Feb 2010.
- Writing about Disabilities. Vision: A Resource for Writers, July-August 2008.
- Website review: Litmatch. Vision: a resource for Writers. Issue 44, March/April 2008.
For Writers’ Weekly
- Promoting Your Book with Twitter, Dec 16, 2009
- Wedding Bliss and Paychecks, Jan 28, 2009
- Writing for Writers Works, Dec 3, 2008
For Diva Magazine
- The Art of Journaling, Diva Magazine, Feb 2009.
Fiction and Poetry
I don’t write much short fiction or poetry anymore, as I’m concentrating on a novel, but you can find some of my stories in the following magazines:
- ‘Zombie Tolkien takes in a Move’. From the Asylum. August 2009.
- ‘23 Stab Wounds’, Sinister Tales, Volume 4.1, May 2009.
- ‘Over the Edge’ (reprint), Mindflights anthology, Issue 4, 2009.
- ‘Window Eye’ and ‘Beautiful Girl’. Ilumen. Sam’s Dot Publishing. April, 2009.
- ‘She’ll be Right’. Big Pulp Magazine, Spring, 2009.
- ‘Urban Funeral’. Breath and Shadow. Volume 6, No. 2. Spring, 2009.
- ‘Court of the Litterfey’. Reflections Edge, December, 2008.
- ‘Over the Edge’. Mindflights, November, 2008.
- ‘An Open McLetter’. Big Pulp Magazine, October, 2008.
- ‘Essay’, ‘Sense of a Man’ and ‘You and You’. Breath and Shadow, Volume 5, No. 5. July, 2008
- ‘His-story’. Haruah: Breath of Heaven. Double-Edged Publishing. Issue 17. Spring, 2008.
Awards and Prizewinners
I don’t like to blow my own trumpet, as they say, but that’s kind of what this publication page is for.
- My blog, www.steffmetal.com, was nominated for a 2011 David Award (Heroes in Small Business, NZ) for “Most Innovative Use of Marketing”
- My novel, Thorn, was one of ten novels short-listed for the War of the Words, run by Tor UK in 2008.
- My blog post, Eulogy to my Miniscope, won first place in the Disabled Shop Blog Competition, in 2010.
- ‘WACK’, a short story about zombie penguins in Antartica, was a shortlisted finalist in the Oceanview Short Story Competition in 2008.
- My short story ‘Into the Light’ won honorable mention in the Australian Slippery When Wet Short Story Competition, 2007.
- And my war poem, ”Thermopylae’ won third place in O’Rorke Poetry Competition